It is water and water everywhere! Due to regular and adequate supply of water we never thought our lives without it. However, year after year the world is falling short on water and various studies suggested that soon a year will come where people will have to face the scarcity of water not only in India, but throughout the world. Today we have brought you a post stating few shocking facts about water.
1. On an average, it takes more than 11,000 liters of water to produce a pound of coffee and the major volume of water required to produce coffee comes from rainwater.
2. 92% of waste water from the developing countries is discharged into rivers or streams which lead to water pollution.
3. Did you know that 443 million school days are lost each year due to water related illness?
4. It takes upto 5000 liters of water to produce 1 kg of rice and 13 gallons of water to make a cheese slice.
5. Normally there is 18 liter water cans available and surprisingly it weighs upto 20 kilos.
6. Around 2 gallons of water is wasted every time you brush your teeth.
7. Every 15 second a child is likely to die of water borne diseases!
8. Surprisingly we have found that water consumption in a US household is eight times that of an Indian household.
9. Inspite of abundant amount of water everywhere there are 1.6 billion people who live in areas which face scarcity of water.
10. Various research and study says, India will face the absolute scarcity of water by the year 2050.
11. Approximately 40 percent of all water bodies in China and 46 per cent of lakes and rivers in the United States have become so polluted that they are declared to be unfit for human consumption.
12. To grow a day’s food for a family of four, approximately 6,800 gallons of water is required which means you will need 1700 gallons for producing food for one person for a day.
13. Apart from the scarcity of water faced in Africa, 40 billion hours are spent collecting water in this poor country.
14. Americans use 5.7 billion gallons per day from toilet flushes which is two times more than consumption in India.
15. Over 90% of the world’s supply of fresh water is located in Antarctica and it is believed to get polluted soon after few.
16. 40% and 60% of freshwater is used by the United States and China for agriculture.
So, did you knew about this facts?