Gold has always fascinated Indians, but due to its scarcity there is really little left behind. Well, gold is a chemical element with its chemical symbol Au and atomic number 79. Besides the fact of being rare and something special, we brought you some facts about gold that will leave you astonished.
1. Research says about around 161,000 tons of gold have been mined by humans.
2. There is an estimated total of 10 billion tons of gold in the world’s oceans, which is 25 tons of gold for every cubic mile of seawater.
3. Study says, more than 80% of the gold is still buried underground where human fails to reach.
4. A noble metal, gold is prone neither to rust nor tarnish and does not form an oxide film on its surface when coming into contact with air.
5. An ounce of gold can be beaten into a sheet covering 100 square feet.
6. The largest nugget still in existence is the “Hand of Faith,” found in 1980 in Australia. It is currently on display at the Golden Nugget Casino in Las Vegas.
7. Two thirds of the world’s gold comes from South Africa.
8. Gold is the state mineral of California and Alaska.
9. India is the world’s largest consumer of gold today.
10. King Croesus of Lydia created the first pure gold coins in 540 B.C.
11. South Dakota and Nevada produce more gold than any other states.
12. Scientists believe that gold can be found on Mars, Mercury, and Venus
So, did you know these facts about gold?