The ICC World Twenty20 or T20 World Cup is an international championship played in 20 over format by different cricket playing nations including associates. T20 World Cup is organised by International Cricket Council. It is played once in 2 years but in 2009 & 2010 – 2 editions of T20 World cup tournament have been played due to 50-over World cup in 2011. ICC World Twenty20 2016, is hosted by India and the next edition will be hosted by Australia in 2020.
This is the 6th edition of ICC World T20 and it kicks off on Tuesday with an encounter between India and New Zealand. So here are 15 interesting facts and records you should know about the Tournament.
1. There were 5 different Winners in the last 5 editions with India winning the inaugural edition.
2. MS Dhoni is the only Player to Captain his team in all the editions without missing a single match.
3. Highest Team Score is 260/6 by Sri Lanka vs Kenya in 2007
4. Lowest Score is 39/10 by Netherlands vs Sri Lanka in 2014
5. Combining all the editions, Sri Lanka has the most number of wins – 21 & Bangladesh has the most number of losses – 15.
6. Mahela Jayawardene scored 1016 runs in all the editions making him the highest run getter.
7. Most runs in a single edition – Virat Kohli (2014)
8. World Twenty20 has witnessed 7 centuries so far. All 7 of them were scored by 7 different players of 7 different nations.
- First World Twenty20 century was scored by Chris Gayle (117 from 57 balls) vs South Africa in 2007.
- Second was 101 runs in 60 balls by Suresh Raina vs South Africa in 2010.
- Third was 100 runs in 64 balls by Mahela Jayawardene vs Zimbabwe in 2010.
- Fourth was 123 runs in 58 balls by Brendon McCullum vs Bangladesh in 2012.
- Fifth was 116* runs in 64 balls by Alex Hales vs Sri Lanka in 2014.
- Sixth was 111* runs from 62 balls by Ahmed Shehzad vs Bangladesh in 2014.
- Seventh was 103* runs from 63 balls by Tamim Iqbal vs Oman in 2016 Qualifier match.