Kapil Dev has been known as Lionhearted during this days of Cricket. It would take only three words to describe Kapil in all – we would say, strength, dynamic and a great leader to be inspired from. Even after so many years of retirement, Kapil dev is still remember in Indian cricket due to his charismatic personality and dynamic leadership.
1. Kapil Dev was born as Kapil Dev Ramlal Nikhanj in Chandigarh on 6 January 1959 to Ram Lal Nikhanj, who is a building and timber contractor and his wife Raj Kumari.
2. He captained the Indian cricket team which won the 1983 Cricket World Cup.
3. Kapil Dev is one of the greatest all-rounders of all time and he has also remained coach for India’s national cricket for 10 months between October 1999 and August 2000.
4. He was introduced to Romi Bhatia by a common friend in 1979 and proposed to her in 1980.The couple tied a knot in 1980 and is blessed with a daughter, Amiya Dev.
5. He retired in 1994, holding the world record for the most number of wickets taken in Test cricket, a record which was subsequently broken by Courtney Walsh in 2000.
6. He is the only player in the history of cricket who have taken more than 400 wickets (exact 434 wickets) and scored more than 5,000 runs in Tests, making him one of the greatest all-rounders to have played the game.
7. Kapil Dev established himself as India’s premier fast bowler when he took two 5-wicket hauls and ended the home series against Australia with 28 wickets and 212 runs that included a half-century.
8. Post world cup his bowling performance in the test and ODI series let him down due to his poor batting performance and hence the selectors ended the Kapil’s captain-ship and ended reappointing Gavaskar as captain in early 1984.
9. Kapil was reappointed captain in March 1985, and guided India on a Test series to win against England on their tour in 1986. This period saw one of the most famous matches played during his reign and is still remembered in the history of cricket.
10. Kapil Dev made an impressive debut for Haryana in November 1975 against Punjab with a 6 wicket haul and restricting Punjab to just 63 runs. Since then, he earned a nickname of Hariyana Hurricane.
11. After retirement from cricket in 1994, Kapil Dev took up golf and he is the only Asian founding member of Laureus Foundation in 2000.
12. Kapil holds the record for the most innings in a complete career (184) without being run out.
13. He is the youngest test cricketer to take 300 wickets. He broke the record when he was 27 years 2 days old.
14. According to the ICC cricket ratings for all-rounders in ODI cricket, Kapil’s peak rating of 631 is the highest rating ever achieved which he reached on 22 March 1985 against Pakistan in Australia.
15. For 1987 Worldcup, when India lost against England in the semi Final, Kapil faced the blame for the loss as due to his bad bowling the team had to face the unexpected loss. He did not captain India again, even though he was the Vice-captain for India’s tour to Pakistan in 1989.
16. Kapil Dev was honored by Arjuna Award in 1979-1980, Padma Shri Award in 1982, Padma Bhushan Award in 1991, Wisden Indian cricketer of the country in 2002, ICC Cricket Hall of the fame in 2010, The 25 greatest Global Living legends in India by NDTV IN 2013 and CK Nayadu lifetime achievement award in 2013.
17. Kapil doesn’t make more than Rs 30 lakh per endorsement, and should not be making over Rs 3-4 crore,
So, what is your opinion about Kapil Dev?