Indian Premier League shortly known as IPL is a cricket tournament played in 20 overs format. It is held every year during April and May in India (except 2009 & 2014). IPL was founded by Lalit Modi, a member of BCCI at that time. This year’s IPL is the 9th edition of the tournament and is played with 2 new teams, one from Gujarat and other from Pune.
Vivo is the title sponsor for IPL 2016 and is all set to start on 9th of April. So here presenting you 25 facts about the Indian Premier League.
1. Opening Games of IPL always featured Mumbai Indians or Kolkata Knight Riders or both.
2. Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the only player to Captain his team in all the editions of the tournament.
3. Suresh Raina has never missed a Match for his Franchise in IPL.
4. Out of 13 teams which took part in IPL, 5 different teams have managed to win the Trophy at least once.
- Rajasthan Royals has won the inaugural edition in 2008.
- Deccan Chargers Hyderabad won the tournament in 2009 which was held in South Africa.
- Chennai Super Kings has won on two different occasions 2010 & 2011.
- Mumbai Indians also won the tournament two times in 2013 & 2015.
- Kolkata Knight Riders has also won the IPL trophy in two editions in 2012 & 2014.
5. Sachin Tendulkar was the first Indian player to win Orange cap, later Robin Uthappa won it in 2014.
Only 2 Indians have won the Orange cap (given to a batsman who scores most number of runs in a single edition) in all 8 editions of the IPL.
6. Chris Gayle remained UNSOLD in 2011’s IPL Player Auction. Later he was taken by RCB as a replacement to injured Dirk Nannes.
7. Gayle is the only Player to win 2 Orange Caps in IPL.
After replacing Dirk Nannes in RCB, Gayle won the Orange cap for two successive years in 2011 & 2012.
8. Gayle & Michael Hussey hold the record for most number of runs in a single edition – 733 Runs.
9. Chennai Super Kings was the only team to reach the Playoffs in all previous 8 editions
10. CSK have been a part of 6 Finals, most by any Team in IPL.
They have won 2 Finals (2010,2011) and lost 4 Finals (2008, 2012, 2013, 2015)
11. Rohit Sharma & Yusuf Pathan have lifted the IPL Trophy 3 times, most by any player.
Yusuf Pathan – 2008 for RR, 2012 for KKR, 2014 for KKR.
Rohit Sharma – 2009 for DC, 2013 for MI, 2015 for MI.
12. Of all the Teams who have 4 or more years experience in IPL, Delhi Daredevils is the only Team to NOT reach the IPL Final at least once.
13. Parthiv Patel has played for 6 different Teams in 8 years of IPL, most by any player.
14. Gautam Gambhir holds the record for most number of 50’s and most number of ducks.
15. Total number of Centuries recorded in 8 editions of IPL – 34
16. Chris Gayle has scored 5 Centuries in IPL, most by any player.
Next best is 2 centuries by Brendon McCullum, Virender Sehwag, Adam Gilchrist, David Warner, Murali Vijay, AB de Villiers, Shane Watson
17. Only 2 uncapped Players has scored a Century in IPL, Manish Pandey in 2009 & Paul Valthaty in 2011.
18. Raina leads the list for most runs scored and Gayle occupied the Top spot for highest Individual Score
19. Some more Batting records in IPL
20. Lasith Malinga has taken most number of wickets and Sunil Naraine has the best Economy rate.
21. Some more Bowling records in IPL
22. Amit Mishra has 3 hat tricks in IPL, most by any player in IPL
23. DJ Bravo has taken the most number of wickets (32) in a single edition. He also has won 2 Purple Caps, most by any player.
24. Sarfaraz Khan is the Youngest player & Brad Hogg is the Oldest player to play in IPL.
Sarfaraz was just 10 years old when IPL was started. At the age of just 17, he got a chance to play with the likes of Chris Gayle, Virat Kohli etc.
At 44 years old Brad Hogg is the oldest player to play in IPL.
25. BCCI states that the 2015 IPL season has contributed a whooping Rs. 11.5 Billion to India’s GDP.
Image Source : Google Images
Did you all these facts about IPL?
Share your views and tell us how much are you excited for IPL?