Critics laugh at them for lacking competence to solve complex issues of governance. In absence of formal education, it becomes even more difficult for a politician to implement laws and form a concrete idea about the fundamentals of governance.
So, we decided to bring to you a list of ministers with their educational qualification —
1. Narendra Modi
He is India’s current PM.
- Completed his schooling in Vadnagar
- Degree in Political Science through a distance education course at Delhi University.
- Master of Arts degree in political science from Gujarat University.
2. Arvind Kejriwal
He is only the second CM who is an IITian. The first one being Goa’s ex-CM — Manohar Parrikar. He is a former(IRS) and former Joint Commissioner in the . He is the head of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP)
- B.Tech (Mechanical Engineering) from IIT-Kharagpur
3. Manmohan Singh
India’s ex-Pm was one of the most educated PM of all time. But still, he was not able to perform to his full potential.
- He studied at Hindu College.
- He stood first in BA (Hons), Economics, Punjab University, Chandigarh
- In 1952, he stood first in MA (Economics), Punjab University, Chandigarh
- In 1954, he was awarded with Wright’s Prize for distinguished performance at St John’s College, Cambridge.
- He is a Wrenbury scholar fromUniversity of Cambridge.
- In 1957, he did DPhil (Oxford), DLitt (Honoris Causa) and PhD thesis on India’s export competitiveness
4. Rahul Gandhi
He is the Congress vice-president.
- He went to Harvard University for his undergraduate education but was transferred from there to Rollins College in 1991 when his father Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated.
- He got his B.A. from Rollins College, Florida in 1994.
- He received an M.Phil. in Development Studies in 1995 from Trinity College, Cambridge.
5. P. Chidambaram
He is the ex Finance Minister.
- Received primary education at Madras Christian College Higher Secondary School.
- Received a pre-university degree from Loyola College, Chennai.
- Graduated with a BSc degree in statistics from the Presidency College, Chennai.
- Completed his Bachelor of Laws from the Madras Law College (now Dr. Ambedkar Government Law College)
- In 1968, he completed his MBA from Harvard Business School.
- He holds a Master’s degree from Loyola College in Chennai.
6. Mulayam Singh Yadav
He is the chief of Samajwadi Party (SP).
- B.A. in Political Science from K.K. College, Etawah
- B.T. in Political Science from A.K. College, Shikohabad
- M.A. in Political Science from B.R. College,
7. Salman Khurshid
Ex Minister of External Affairs.
- Completed basic education from St. Xavier’s High School, Patna and Delhi Public School, Mathura Road.
- Did B.A. (English and Jurisprudence), M.A., and B.C.L. from St Edmund Hall, Oxford, Oxford, UK
- Taught as Lecturer in Law at Trinity College, Oxford.
8. Manohar Parrikar
He is current defense minister and was the ex-CM of Goa.
- Completed formal studies from Loyola High School, Margao
- He did B.Tech in metallurgical engineering from IIT Bombay.
9. Arun Jaitley
He is the current Finance Minister of India.
- Studied at St. Xavier’s School, New Delhi from 1957–69.
- Graduated in Commerce from Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi in 1973
- Received his Law degree from the University of Delhi, in 1977.
- President of the Students Union of Delhi University in 1974.
10. Shashi Tharoor
He was the ex HRD Minister.
- Completed high school education from St Xavier’s Collegiate in Kolkata (1969–71)
- Completed graduation with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in History from St Stephen’s College, Delhi,(1972–75)
- Obtained his MA and MALD from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University.
- Received the Robert B Stewart Prize for Best Student.
- Awarded an honorary D.Litt by the University of Puget Sound and a Doctorate Honoris Causa in History by the University of Bucharest.