Bollywood & TV
Sholay Completes 40 Years : These Hidden Facts Might Surprise You
This Independence Day also marks 40 years for “All time blockbuster” – Sholay.
Yes, It was released on August 15, 1975 in Mumbai. Surprisingly, for the first two weeks the movie did not perform well at the box office. It was later by the word-of-mouth which worked in favor for the movie. And then there was no looking back.
Similarly, there are some more interesting facts about this classic.
– Even after being released, the writer and Ramesh Sippy, the director we considering to re-shoot the climax and change the ending of the movie in which Amitabh’s character would not die. However, the idea was dropped later.
– Release of a soundtrack with dialogue snippets made the movie a sensation.
– Across India, it was released later on October 11, 1975, which is also the birthday of Amitabh Bachchan.
– Sholay received the “Best Film in 50 years”, a special award at 50th Filmfare Award.
– Dharmendra agreed to do the role of Veeru only because he was to be paired opposite Hema Malini. Initially, he wanted to play the role of Thakur.
– When Shatrughan Sinha rejected the offer for the role of Jai, Amitabh Bachchan was considered for it. And this movie made Amitabh Bachchan, a superstar.
– During the shoots, Dharmandra paid the spot boys to spoil his scenes with Hema Malini, so that he could spend some more time with her while retakes.
– Sambha’s character had only one dialogue in the movie, even then after 40 years Mac Mohan is referred to as “Sambha”.
– Even Pran was considered for the role of Thakur, however Sanjeev Kapoor proved to be a better choice.
– In the entire movie, there are less than 10 scenes of Gabbar in total.
– In the climax of the movie, real bullets were used, which passed Mr. Bachchan nearly missing him.
– The original script of the film had Gabbar being killed by Thakur in the end.
Here are some of the most famous dialogues from the film for all of you.