11 Facts About Indian Football That Will Surely Amaze You
India is fighting hard to make it to the 2018 Football World Cup. But we don’t know when will we see the Indian Football back in the way it used to play earlier.
Have a look at these Amazing Facts about Indian Football that you must definitely know —
1) India Is Home To The Third Oldest Football Competition, Durand Cup. FA cup Being the First And Scottish Cup The Second.
2) In 1911, India Won IFA Shield . Worldwide, IFA Shield Was Considered as a Prestigious Competition Those Days.
3) In 1948 London Olympics , Indian National Team Lost 2-1 To France. In That Match, India Failed To Convert Two Penalties.
4) In 1950 FIFA World Cup, Indian Team Qualified . But Couldnt Play As AIFF Claimed That They Couldnt Afford The Travelling And Other Costs Initially . AIFF’s Second Reason as said by themself was FIFA’s imposing of a rule which banned barefoot play following 1948 Olympics where India had played barefoot .
5)Football Was Once The National Game Of India.
6) The period from 1951 to 1962 is considered the golden era in Indian football. Under the
tutelage of legendary Syed Abdul Rahim, India became the best team in Asia.
7) India Finished First In 1951, 1961 , Second In 1954, Fourth In 1958 At Asian Games (Football).
8) At the 1956 Olympics they finished fourth, which is regarded as one of the finest achievements in Indian football.
9) India Finished second In 1964 Asian Cup.
10) The Most Iconic Figure In Indian Football , Syed Abdul Rahim , Popularly Known As Rahim Saab , Who Was The Manager, Coach And a Player For Indian National Team From 1950 to 1963 , Passed Away On 11th June, 1963.