Mostly these taboos come from Culture, historical origin and also various traditional factors. I always wanted people to know about the taboos of Korea as these taboos are extremely strange and shocking. So, have a look at some of the shocking taboos from Korea.
1. You are not suppose to talk in a loud voice even with your friends. Keep your voice tone moderate since they generally speak in a soft voice.
2. According to Korean culture, complimenting health of an elderly person is always appreciated. Any person who spares some time to talk with elder people is generally considered as a person with good morals.
3. South Koreans may be asked personal questions regarding age, salary, education, religion, and family life because they think that they can establish rapport by finding common denominators.
4. South Koreans avoid saying, “No”, directly. So they prefer to answer the questions affirmatively in a positive way, even when you have to deliver negative information.
5. Eye to eye contact is extremely important to indicate your sincerity, respect and attentiveness to the person.
6. You should cover your mouth while yawning or while using a toothpick.
7. Blowing your nose in public is considered vulgar. If heavily spiced food makes your nose run, get up and move away from the table before blowing your nose.
8. Discussing about Korean politics, socialism and communism is considered a taboo in Korean culture.
9. Western men should not try to shake hands with a Korean woman. Western women will usually need to initiate a handshake with Korean men.
10. You are supposed to bow at the beginning and end of a meeting. An exit bow that is longer than the greeting bow is a sign that the meeting went well.
11. You are supposed to talk about economic success and international accomplishments and never ever speak against it.
12. Criticism should always be done in private. Criticizing even your co-worker in public can lead to further destruction.
Do you want to share some more?