First non- congress Prime Minister of India to complete his full term in office, Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee was born on 25th December 1924 in Gwalior State (during British India). Vajpayee completed his secondary education from Government School. He was graduated from Gwalior’s Victoria college (Laxmi Bai college now) with distinction in English, Sanskrit and Hindi. He was awarded a first class degree after completing his post graduation with an M.A Political Science. He celebrates in 91st birthday on 25th December.
Here are 15 Interesting & Amazing Facts about India’s Greatest Prime Minister – Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
1. Atal Bihari Vajpayee is a Leader, Poet, Journalist, Politician & a Great Orator
2. Atal Bihari Vajpayee was jailed for 23 days at the age of 18 for participating in Quit India Movement led by Mahatma Gandhi
Being a great follower of Mahatma Gandhi, Atal ji & his elder brother was imprisoned for participating in Quit India Movement.
3. He was a Parliamentarian for more than 40 years, elected 9 times to Lok Sabha & 2 times to Rajya Sabha
Only election he lost was in 1984 against Madhav Rao Scindia from Gwalior.
4. He is the only person to be elected as Member of Parliament from 4 different States
He was elected from Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Delhi and Madhya Pradesh.
5. Impressed by his Oratory skills, Nehru predicted that Atal Bihari Vajpayee would someday become India’s Prime Minister
6. He held the Highest Office for 3 times.
Vajpayee became 10th Prime Minister of India in 1996 but held the office only for 13 days before resigning. NDA proved the majority again in 1998 and Atal ji served as the Prime Minister for 13 months till mid 1999.
7. First Non-Congress Prime Minister to serve the full 5-year term.
In 1999 general elections , BJP which led NDA won 303 seats sweeping the elections with a clear majority. Atal Bihari Vajpayee was sworn in as the Prime Minister of India for the third time on 13th October 1999. He is still the only non-congress PM to complete the full 5-year term. Let’s see can Modi become the second one.
8. Dr. Manmohan Singh referred Atal Bihari Vajpayee as Bhishma Pitamah of Indian Politics during his speech as PM in Rajya Sabha
9. Atal ji loves Hindi. He was India’s first External Affairs Minister & Prime Minister to deliver speech in Hindi at the United Nations
10. Atal Bihari Vajpayee studied law along with his father at DAV College Kanpur, they even shared the hostel room
11. Atal ji has not married but has an adopted daughter Namitha
12. Atal Bihari Vajpayee is one of the Best poets of India
Here are the poetry works of Atal ji.
- Twenty-One Poems
- Meri ikyavana kavitaem (1995)
- Meri ikyavana kavitaem (1995)
- Sreshtha kabita (1997)
- & more
13. He announced retirement from Active Politics in December 2005 due to Health concerns
14. 25th December is celebrated as “Good Governance Day” on account of his Birthday.
15. Atal ji was awarded with India’s Highest Honour Bharat Ratna in 2015.
Here are the list of awards Atal Bihari Vajpayee has won for his services.
Here is an example for his vision:
In 1960, Nehru came to Parliament after inaugurating a 5-star hotel, Hotel Ashoka in Delhi. Nehru proudly said ‘I am very happy that I inaugurated this hotel today’
To this, first time parliament member and a young Atal Bihari Vajpayee said in a reply ‘this is the saddest day in my life when the Prime Minister inaugurates a Hotel instead of an Hospital’
Here is the Video:
From the Team of RVCJ, we wish Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee a Very Happy Birthday..!!
Share your greetings in the comments section below.